Monthly, 3rd Thursday 2 PM – 3 PM
Mayfair Presbyterian Church
22 North Main Street
Mayfield, NY 12117
Contact HealthLink (518) 736-1120 firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly, 3rd Thursday 2 PM – 3 PM
Written in plain, easy-to-understand language, this book teaches you everything you need to know to about Parkinson’s Disease, without you guessing or searching endlessly for answers to your biggest questions. This book is the result of 25 years experience and research in living a life with Parkinson’s Disease. It’s chock-full of vital facts, helpful hints and critical information… all in one easy to read book.
Here’s some of what you’re going to discover:
- Discover exactly what is Parkinson’s Disease. What causes it? How fast does it progress?
- How to get correctly diagnosed in determining whether it’s really Parkinson’s disease.
- Is Parkinson’s hereditary? Discover what the latest research shows about whether you should be concerned if your parent or close family ancestry had Parkinson’s.
- 22 of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease. Learn these symptoms so you won’t be fooled by other ‘look alikes’.
- What the latest research shows about the most effective ways to slow the progression of Parkinson’s.
- The 5 Stages of Parkinson’s and how to identify which stage you’re at now.
- How Parkinson’s can affect your life expectancy and whether people die from the disease. It’s a lot less scary than you think!
- Why attending a Parkinson’s support group meeting may NOT be the best move for someone who has just been diagnosed with the disease.
This book isn’t just for the newly diagnosed. Inside you’ll learn:
- What you should know about Essential Tremor and how it’s different from Parkinson’s Disease.
- The role that age plays in getting Parkinson’s and what you should know about Early Onset Parkinson’s.
- Why anxiety and depression are common in Parkinson’s patients and how to best alleviate these negative emotions.
- The relationship between Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- The real cause of depression in Parkinson’s patients whether it’s caused by the disease or the side effects of the common medications.
- What you should know about stress and how this can negatively impact you. Learn 5 simple techniques you can use to alleviate stress and reduce these effects.
- What you should know about the common medications prescribed for Parkinson’s patients and the common side effects and long-term effects of the drugs.
- Drugs you should avoid while on Parkinson’s medication and those you should definitely tell your pharmacist about if you’re using them.
- 12 Ways to reduce nausea, a common side effect of many Parkinson’s Disease drugs.
You’ll find these tips too:
- 8 Techniques you can use in order to prevent “freezing”. You’ll learn a neat little trick discovered by accident that works very effectively.
- Learn how to know if you are getting the most out of your medicine. (How much “off” time is reasonable?)
- Common things you should avoid to help reduce your tremors.
- 11 Speech Therapy techniques you can use to improve your speech clarity.
- 18 Tips for making chewing and swallowing of food much easier (these will come in very handy!)
- 15 Tips for helping you to get a better night’s sleep.
- 7 Main alternative treatments for Parkinson’s Disease you should know exist.
- What you should know about the foods you should eat more of and those you should avoid like the plague.
- What you should know about getting financial help from your government and other agencies.
- Helpful gadgets for people with Parkinson’s.
- And much more…
The fundamental guide to the most effective treatments for Parkinson’s Disease, from a Mayo Clinic doctor with thirty years of clinical and research experience.
In this second edition follow-up to the extremely successful first edition, Dr. Ahlskog draws on thirty years of clinical experience to present the definitive guide to dealing with all aspects of Parkinson’s Disease, from treatment options and side effects to the impact of the disease on caregivers and family. Dr. Ahlskog’s goal is to educate patients so that they can better team up with their doctors to do battle with the disease, streamlining the decision-making process and enhancing their treatment. To do this, Dr. Ahlskog offers a gold mine of information, distilled from his years of experience treating people with Parkinson’s at the Mayo Clinic. In addition to providing a comprehensive account of Parkinson’s medications, this book also examines additional aspects of treatment, such as the role of nutrition, exercise, and physical therapy.
Although many commendable texts have been written on the subject of Parkinson’s Disease, their discussions of treatment have not been in depth. Dr. Ahlskog sifts through aspects of the disease in order to give the reader a comprehensive sense of Parkinson’s and the best available treatment options. With a broader understanding of the disease and the available options, patients are able to make more informed choices, and doctors are able to provide more tailored care. This book delivers hopeful, helpful, and extensive information to all parties concerned: patients, caregivers, and doctors.
The ultimate guide to symptoms and treatment, this thoroughly updated second edition is the first place patients should turn for reliable, easy-to-grasp information on Parkinson’s Disease.